Job Post: V20 Communications Officer (Remote)
TERMS OF REFERENCE
V20 COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
|Role:||V20 Communications Officer|
|Function:||Support the implementation of V20’s communications strategy, write and disseminate publicity material, respond to inquiries from the public and media, and support coordination of events.|
|Principal Program:||Financing & Implementation|
|Start Date:||01 November 2023|
|Duration:||12 months following 3-month trial period with possibility for renewal|
|Supervisor:||CVF/V20 Secretariat Leads|
|Contract Type:||International Consultancy|
|Location:||Accra, Ghana or Remote|
The Vulnerable Twenty (V20) Group of Ministers of Finance of the Climate Vulnerable Forum, established in 2015, is a dedicated cooperation initiative of 68 economies systemically vulnerable to climate change. The V20 operates as a dedicated international collaboration of ministers of finance working to tackle climate change by developing and mobilizing economic responses, strategies, and programs and by leveraging public and private finance. In doing so, the V20:
- Acts collectively to promote the mobilization of public and private climate finance and other sources of climate finance through international, regional and domestic mobilizations;
- Develops improved and innovative approaches to financing climate action;
- Engages in joint advocacy and other collective action to influence global narratives and outcomes, shape global debate, and and advance policy development for effective economic and fiscal responses to climate change; and
- Shares and exchanges best practices on economic and financial aspects of climate action.
The V20 Communications Officer role is primarily focused on supporting the implementation of V20’s communications strategy, while writing and disseminating publicity material, responding to and managing the response to inquiries from the public and media, and supporting coordination of events.
The V20 Communications Officer will report to the CVF/V20 Secretariat Leads.
Duties and Responsibilities
As detailed below, the V20 Communications Officer will focus on contributing to the following V20 activities by performing the following core duties:
- Work closely with management to effectively implement the V20 communications global strategy.
- Manage V20’s communications with stakeholders globally including with V20 ministers’ communication teams.
- Respond to and manage media inquiries, arrange interviews, and whenever designated, act as spokesperson for the V20.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with journalists in multiple types of media.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including material for weekly updates, monthly updates, website, media alerts, press releases, and other types of content that take the message to the public.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Procure appropriate photographic and/or videographic services as needed.
All V20 personnel will be expected to contribute, from time to time, to responsibilities and duties outside of their core functions during specific phases of work where major events and activities demand contributions of all or much of the organization’s personnel. Work during such phases may also be subject to alternative direction and supervision.
Holder of a degree in Communications, Journalism, Sustainable Finance, Development Management, International Relations, International Development, International Law, Public Policy, Climate Change or Environmental Policy and/or Law, and/or related disciplines;
At least 5 years of previous relevant professional work experience and a demonstrated interest in communications, journalism, diplomacy, and international development and climate policy.
Competencies, Skills & Languages
- Understanding of critical issues in sustainable development, international climate change policy, and climate finance;
- Demonstrated understanding of the administrative and political functioning of multilateral institutions;
- Ability to write reports and produce briefing materials for high-level officials;
- Proficiency with social media and online community building tools;
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to identify clear objectives, prioritize effectively, and use time efficiently;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, as well as individually;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines; and
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Proficiency in design and publishing software
The initial contract duration stated in the Summary section may be subject to extension, although any extension is dependent on work performance, program needs, available finance and other factors.
Working Hours & Modalities
The yearly compensation for the Assignment is set at the Summary section.
The V20 Communications Officer is expected to work during core business hours of 10am – 4pm (local time).
An industry-competitive remuneration at international rates will be provided based on the candidate’s experience and working location.
Interested applicants should email their letter of interest, CV and a writing sample to email@example.com by 15 October 2023 with the following subject line: [APPLICATION; NAME OF POSITION].